NFL Draft Day I: Manuel biggest surprise and first QB taken
NFL First Round Draft recap. Sportsbetting3 will be analyzing the draft throughout the next 10 days so make us part of your daily routine.
Pick Team Player Position School
1. Kansas City Chiefs Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan
2. Jacksonville Jaguars Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M
3. Miami Dolphins Dion Jordan OLB Oregon
4. Philadelphia Eagles Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
5. Detroit Lions Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU
6. Cleveland Browns Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU
7. Arizona Cardinals Jonathan Cooper G North Carolina
8. St. Louis Rams Tavon Austin WR West Virginia
9. New York Jets Dee Milliner CB Alabama
10. Tennessee Titans Chance Warmack G Alabama
11. San Diego Chargers D.J. Fluker OT Alabama
12. Oakland Raiders D.J. Hayden CB Houston
13. New York Jets Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri
14. Carolina Panthers Star Lotulelei DT Utah
15. New Orleans Saints Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
16. Buffalo Bills E.J. Manuel QB Florida St.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
18. San Francisco 49ers Eric Reid S LSU
19. New York Giants Justin Pugh OT Syracuse
20. Chicago Bears Kyle Long G Oregon
21. Cincinnati Bengals Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame
22. Atlanta Falcons Desmond Trufant CB Washington
23. Minnesota Vikings Sharrif Floyd DT Florida
24. Indianapolis Colts Bjoern Werner DE Florida St.
25. Minnesota Vikings Xavier Rhodes CB Florida St.
26. Green Bay Packers Datone Jones DE UCLA
27. Houston Texans DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson
28. Denver Broncos Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina
29. Minnesota Vikings Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee
30. St. Louis Rams Alec Ogletree MLB Georgia
31. Dallas Cowboys Travis Frederick C Wisconsin
32. Baltimore Ravens Matt Elam S Florida
Heat roll, Bulls survive, Grizz break through
In last night’s NBA playoff action, the Miami Heat sent the Milwaukee Bucks to the brink of extinction with a 103-91 win at the Bradley Center. Ray Allen had 23 points and broke the record for career playoff treys in the win. Miami leads the series 3-0 and can complete their sweep on Sunday. The Chicago Bulls got 21 points and 16 rebound from Carlos Boozer but had to withstand a furious late Brooklyn rally to beat the Nets 79-76 and take a 2-1 lead in that series. Game IV is Saturday at the United Center. The Memphis Grizzlies got back in their series with the Clippers with a 94-82 win. Zach Randolph led the way with 27 points and 11 boards.
Celtics and Laker fight for playoff lives, Nuggets/Warriors 1-1
Three games in the NBA playoffs tonight starting at 8:05 PM EST with the Knicks taking on the Celtics in Boston. The Celtics are -2.5 point favorites with the total set at 183. Boston is down 0-2 in the series after scoring just 48 combined second half points in games I and II. The injury riddled Lakers are 5 1/2 point home dogs to San Antonio. Los Angeles will be scrambling at guard with both Steve Blake and Steve Nash expected to be out. In the 10:30 PM EST Friday finale. The Nuggets and Warriors will square off in the Bay. Denver opened as a -1 favorite but the money has been all Golden State who is now the -1.5 point choice after shooting 65% from the field in Game II.
MLB News and Notes
Tiger ace Justin Verlander left Thursday’s game with Kansas City after developing some type of skin irritation on his thumb. Detroit manager Jim Leyland called it a blister while other sources have reported it as cracked skin. Verlander is day to day. On the field, Alex Gordon his a grand slam in the 10th to carry the Royals to an 8-3 win at Motown.
Dodgers pitcher Chad Billingsley will be out for about a year after undergoing Tommy John surgery. Billingsley was on the DL three times last year with a sore elbow but had bypassed surgery in favor of rehab and platelet-rich blood injections similar to the procedure done by Kobe Bryant. After a pain-free preseason, Billingsley felt soreness in the elbow after an April 19th bullpen session and an MRI revealed more damage to the tendon.
Sidney Crosby is cleared to practice
It’s official. Sidney Crosby has been cleared to practice with the Pittsburg Penguins and should play in the upcoming NHL playoffs. Crosby is recovering from surgery on a broken jaw that he sustained when he was hit in the face with a slapshot back on March 30th. Despite missing the last month, Crosby is still second in the NHL scoring race.
McDermott will return for his senior year
Creighton shooting forward Greg McDermott will return to the Blue Jays (where his father is head coach) for his senior year. All indications wee that McDermott would be a late first-round or early second round pick this year and projects on next year stronger top-heavy draft has him falling on the same place. The 6’8″ 225 pound sniper averaged 23.2 points and 7.7 rebounds while shooting 49 percent from beyond the arc, 55 percent from the field and 88 percent from the line. He has 2,216 career points in his three seasons at Creighton.
Digger Phelps diagnosed with bladder cancer
ESPN college basketball analyst Digger Phelps has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. Phelps went 393-197 in 20 seasons coaching Notre Dame and has been an analyst with the four-letter network since 1993. Phelps is recovering from surgery at his home in South Bend and plans to return to broadcasting next season. SP3 wishes Digger a fast and complete recovery.
(NBA) San Antonio -5 over the Lakers (Friday, April 26, 10:35 PM EST )