NFL and College Football News and Notes, Tigers tie WSox, NHL Lockout, Manny/Floyd Update + Free Plays for Wednesday, September 26, 2012

THIS JUST IN … the NFL has reached a deal with the locked out officials

It is being reported that the NFL has reached a deal with it’s locked out officials. Details have not been released as of yet but SP3 will have all the skinny in it’s Thursday update.

NFL upholds Green Bay/Seattle final

Seattle’s 14-12 victory over the Green Bay Packers will not be overturned by the league. The NFL released a statement supporting the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review but stated that Golden Tate’s offensive pass interference push on Packer DB Sam Shields was clearly missed.

Blown call saw $250 million dollar swing in bets

ESPN’s Darren Rovell discusses financial impact of blown call

Notre Dame opts out of Michigan series

Notre Dame has opted out of it’s rivalry series with Michigan citing new scheduling commitments as the Irish transition over in their move to the ACC. Either team had the option to opt out of the series with three years notice which Notre Dame did by letter about an hour before the Notre Dame’s 13-6 victory over the Wolverines last Saturday. The two teams have their last scheduled meeting in 2014.

Braves clinch playoffs, Tigers tie WSox atop AL Central

Freddie Freeman’s two-run walk off homer in the bottom of the ninth inning gave the Atlanta Braves a 4-3 victory over the Miami Marlins and guarantee the Bravos a place in the post-season. Atlanta still trails the Washington Nats by four games in the NL East but is assured of at least one of the wildcard spots. It was sweet redemption for the Braves after their epic September 2011 collapse and it’s fitting that future HOFer Chipper Jones will play in the post season in his farewell year.

On Tuesday, the Chicago White Sox lost to the Cleveland Indians 4-3 while the Detroit Tigers were beating Kansas City 2-0 to leave both team teams dead even atop the American League Central. Both teams are 82-72 with eight games to play. The White Sox are home to Cleveland tonight before hosting Tampa Bay for four games and then finishing up at Cleveland for a three-game set with the Tribe. Detroit hosts the Royals for two more games before traveling to Minnesota and Kansas City. It’s winner take all in the Central as both teams would have to win out to have any chance at a wild card.

Bill Clinton’s $100 Ryder Cup Bet

90% of the people bet and the other 10% lie about it. At least that’s how SP3 thinks the old saying goes. Former President Bill Clinton got in the spirit of things by betting Piers Morgan $100 on the outcome of the Ryder Cup. Clinton of course took the Americans and the Brit CNN TV host of course to Europe. Ever cognizant of the law, the ex-President stipulated that the winner would donate the money to the charity of his choice. It is unknown if Morgan is laying the -130 that the Euros are currently favored by at most venues.

NHL and the player to resume talks Friday

The NHL and the NHLPA are scheduled to resume talks Friday at an undisclosed location. It will be the first meeting between the two sides since the lockout began on September 15th. The NHL already has canceled all preseason games through the month of September and could scrap the remaining exhibition schedule any day now. The NHL regular season is scheduled to open Oct. 11, while exhibition games were supposed to have started this past weekend.

Manny/Floyd to settle defamation case

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr will settle a federal defamation case in Las Vegas, opening the way for two to meet in a long awaited and highly anticipated fight. The case came to a head last week after a judge ordered Mayweather to pay Pacquiao $114,000 for avoiding questioning under oath from Pacquiao’s lawyers. Pacquiao filed the lawsuit in December 2009 seeking unspecified damages based on allegations that Floyd Mayweather Jr. defamed him by suggesting Pacquiao used performance-enhancing substances. Settlement terms were not released other than that each party would pay their own legal fees.

Free Plays

(MLB) Philadelphia (Kendrick) -134 over Washington (Lannan) 7:05 PM EST

Buy up to five points and tease up to 21 at Wager Web

(MLB) Pittsburg (Locke)/NY Mets (Hefner) 7:10 PM EST

New accounts at Top Bet and EZ Street are getting automatic 50% bumps

(MLB) San Francisco (Cain) -150 over Arizona (Miley) 10:15 PM EST

Claim your $100 Free Bet today at Bovada

(MLB) Tampa Bay (Cobb) -134 over BoSox (Lester) 7:10 PM EST

Earn Bet Points with EVERY wager that you make at Bookmaker