Having trouble reading betting odds? Don’t worry. Our helpful “How to read Sports Betting Odds” image explains each number’s meaning and purpose. A detailed explanation follows the image.
Share this infographic. It makes American betting odds easy to understand.
Full article text is below graphic
Betting Odds Numbers Meaning
Let’s explain each number’s meaning and purpose.
Game and Team Numbers
- 09/01 is the game date. 1:00 PM is the game time. You must bet before game time!
- NYC and LA are the teams. 100 is NYC’s rotation number. 101 is LA’s rotation number. These numbers are used interchangeably at sports books. You could ask for a $200 bet on 100, meaning NYC. Or a $200 bet on 101, meaning LA.
Spread Betting Numbers
- -6½ means NYC is the 6½ point favorite at Book 1. LA is the +6½ point underdog.
- -7 means NYC is the 7 point favorite at Book 2, LA is the +7 point underdog.
- ½ point means no tie bets. 6½ rounds up to 7. Therefore, NYC must win by 7 or more at Book 1.
- NYC must win by 8 or more at Book 2. A 7 point win ties the spread. Tie bets are returned.
- Oddsmakers use ½ points strategically to avoid pushing players. This ensures the bet either wins or loses.
- ½ point spreads are commonly offered for the Super Bowl, because it is the last game of the season. Bookies would rather not return Super Bowl bets because players will have no further football bets to make.
Total Betting Numbers
- The total is the greater of each book’s numbers. “u” means Under, “o” means Over.
- Book 1 predicts a 43½ point total.
- Book 2 predicts a 44 point total.
- ½ point total means no ties just like ½ point spreads. Tie total bets are returned.
Sportsbook Juice or Vigorish
Sports books will provide odds for both sides of a line. See each website. Third party tables only show the most expensive bet. Steps for manually calculating opposite side are provided at bottom of page.
- Numbers to right of spread and total indicate sportsbook juice. Also called vigorish or vig. It’s the fee charged for a bet.
- Put 1 before any two digit number. -19 becomes -119. -40 becomes -140.
- Negative numbers indicate how much risk to win $100.
- Positive numbers indicate reward for risking $100. +120 means win $120 for risking $100.
Understand Juice Numbers Example
- Betting NYC -6½. You risk $119 to win $100 at Book 1.
- -119 NYC juice corresponds to -101 LA +6½.
- Betting LA +6½. You risk $101 to win $100 at Book 1.
- Book 2’s spread juice isn’t provided. Assume -110 or a “dime line”. Lay $110 to win $100.
- Betting the under -140 at Book 1. You risk $140 to win $100.
- -140 under juice corresponds to +120 over at Book 1.
- Betting the over +120 at Book 1. Win $120 for risking $100.
- Book 2’s total juice isn’t provided. Assume -110 or a “dime line”. Lay $110 to win $100.
Compare odds to find value
Given two equal point spreads or totals, take the Book with less juice. A lower commission means you won’t have to risk as much to bet on the favorite.
Also shop positive juice numbers. Under 33 +112 at one book is less profitable than +118 at another.
|50% Welcome Bonus up to $250 First Deposit - OR - 50% Matching up to $500 Bitcoin (New or Existing 1st BTC Deposit) - Code BVSBITCOIN50|
How to Read Sports Betting Odds Tables and Reference
|Juice -101 to -109||
|Juice -110 to -119||
|Juice -120 or more||